Sunday, May 21, 2006

My Pop Culture Post

Several things I have observed in the past few days that I would like to comment on.

I'm watching The Natural this afternoon on Bravo. Everyone is in this movie: Glenn Close, Kim Basinger, Richard Farnsworth, Wilford Brimley, Barbara Hershey, even Michael Madsen. Not to mention Robert and his yummy self. It's slow, but compelling.

They are moving "Grey's Anatomy" to Thursday nights. I don't know how I feel about that. Part of the reason why I dig this show so much is because it makes my Sunday. On Thursdays, there is more of a pull on my time. Arghhh...will I not make plans on Thursday just to see my show? Inquiring minds want to know.

I saw The Da Vinci Code yesterday. Despite the hilarious review in the Times, I wanted to see it because I dig all the codes and symbology that runs through that story. However, that movie is bad. And not in a "so-bad-it's-good" way. The only part worth watching is Sir Ian McKellen's performance. He didn't just steal his scenes, he stole the whole movie. It's like Ron Howard, Akiva Goldsman and Tom Hanks just phoned in their work. As my friend, Ken said, it's like they dumbed down an already not-so-smart book. I'm going to start calling people "O Draconian devils" when they piss me off.

I also saw "Hustle" for the first time last night. I must say...Adrian Lester is much cuter with his natural British accent. Much cuter. He had this hot sex scene with this bitchy blond...it was quite lovely. Did I mention how much cuter Adrian Lester is with a British accent?

I think that's it for now.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm not happy about the move to Thursday for "Grey's Anatomy" either, mainly because it will be up against the new Aaron Sorkin vehicle with Bradley Whitford, Timothy Busfield and Amanda Peet.

Your reaction to "The Da Vinci Code" is very similar to what I've heard from other people. Sir Ian is always a joy to watch so I'll catch this movie simply for him. I like the "O Draconian devils" insult idea. Very cool. ;)

Dee said...

Hey, what did you think of Audrey Tautou's performance? I like her work and am disappointed her American debut has to be in a movie that is getting mixed reviews. I think she'll bounce back but now I'm afraid to watch the movie.

L. Britt said...

No one except Sir Ian has any character in that movie. It's like a VERY bad "Law and Order" episode with WAY too much exposition. At the end of the movie, Audrey does have some wit to her, but she spends most of the movie saying "I don't understand. I don't know anything!" It's not her fault, however. I totally blame Akiva for this bland ass script.

Melissa said...

Poopsie, I hate to tell you, but they're moving W/o A Trace, too. Bastards. Why must they mess with our shows?

That's it... I'm making us all t-shirts that say "O Draconian Devils" on them.