Saturday, April 15, 2006

Keeping it In

I'm not one to do this. I usually tell all my friends what I'm doing all the time. But for some reason these days, stuff is percolating in my mind and in my life...and I don't want to tell anyone about it.

I think of my friend, Angela. She is very private about important things in her life. I had no idea she even applied to film school until she told me that she got into Columbia. And I found that out when I told her I got into Columbia. Sometimes I take it personally, but then I remember it's about what she needs, not about me. I imagine that keeping it in helps maintain the event, life change, thought -- whatever it is -- as something precious. Things get diluted once passed through the filter of other people's thoughts, regrets, fears, advice.

So I'm taking a page out of her book. Here's to keeping my mouth shut!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I do the same thing. I usually spill the proverbial beans before really thinking through whether or not it's wise to do so. I'm in awe of people who don't do that and I often debate with myself if I should be more pudent with my private pronouncements.

Good luck with your percolating and congrats about Columbia! :)

Melissa said...

I'm doing the same thing right now. It's hard for me.

The Rover said...

I'm the exact opposite. I formulate my thoughts and opinions through talking, working the ideas/problems out when I discuss them with other people.

But, hey, sometimes you've got to sit on something. Always time to share later, right?