Monday, February 12, 2007

"A Case of the Mondays"

I watched a little bit of Office Space yesterday. That is one funny flick.

So, I'm not really in the mood to start really working, but I have to look like I am, so I will write a post about what's going on in my head right about now.

1. I saw Children of Men Saturday night. What a film! It was crazy intense and very depressing. Uncomfortable to watch because of how timely many of its images are and how many questions are left unanswered. Oddly, I didn't feel frustrated by that. The hardest thing about that film is that you are left with a bit of hope that's not cheesy, deus ex machina hope. Cuaron made it organic to the story, so you can't write it off as a lame plot device. On "All Things Considered," Cuaron said that he did that to ask the audience what we are going to do with that hope. What to do indeed. Clive Owen is still hot in this flick...even in flip-flops.

2. Love is boring. Yup, I said it. Real, lasting love is peaceful and simple. It's not roller coaster-esque, or euphorically high all the time. It definitely isn't nerve-wracking. For me, love just feels comfortable. Not lazy, like the old, paint-splattered pants you wear around the house. More like your favorite dress pants: the ones that you don't have to suck in your stomach for and hang just right over your bum. The ones you can wear with heels or flats and any top. The ones that make you feel confident and sexy. That kind of comfortable.

This is definitely new information for me. I used to think that love was all walking on Cloud 9 and feeling sick to my stomach in a good way. Or all about creating and passing tests to prove the love. But if someone from the outside were to look at The Mormon and I, you would think we were mad boring. And that's just fine by me 'cuz I am happy.

3. I am pissed off at our government! I can't believe they are even attempting to lay the groundwork to screw with any other country in the Middle East. Part of me doesn't even care what Iran has done...how dare they present "evidence" that may justify another invasion! What a wuss George W. is! He just lets Cheney lead him around like a freakin' puppet! Jeez, this President needs therapy.

4. I think it's stupid for Obama to attempt to quit smoking as he runs for President. However, he's totally screwed no matter how you look at it. If he keeps smoking, issues like teen smoking and health care are going to be sticky wickets for him because he'll look like a hypocrite. If he quits, he's going to be cranky and irritable and may make a gaff. If he gets caught cheating while he says he's quitting, it will become a major character flaw that his opponents will exploit all out of proportion.

5. Being a Maid of Honor is SO not what it's cracked up to be. I think when I get married, I will have a committee. I will have some friends help me pick the dress, other people plan the parties, and still others help me the day of. Spread out the labor, you know? Wedding planning always seems to get more complicated than the bride expects, which means it gets more complicated for her bridal party. Just imagine if her bridal party is one person!

6. I know that "This American Life" is all busy with their new Showtime series, but I have to say, I'm quite annoyed with the amount of repeats it's been broadcasting.

7. Did I tell you guys that Ex now has a son? I found out about it a couple of weeks ago, though the baby was born last summer. I was surprisingly zen about it. I thought it would hit me hard, like when I found out he was engaged. But it didn't hurt at all. Trust me, I checked in with myself a few times. I feel crazy sorry for that kid and I am thrilled I am not that baby's momma, and I'm also happy for Ex. I know that he was keen on being a dad, so I'm glad he got his wish.

8. Oh! I am so happy that a woman is going to be the president of Harvard. I've read one article about her and she sounds really interesting. I think I'll do some more research on her...maybe read one of her books.

9. I am very proud of P.D. James. She is the author of the book that the movie I mentioned above is based on. Vaslav and I are big fans of her detective fiction. I had heard that she was the author of the book, but it didn't click that it was the P.D. James until I saw her name in print. Yea, P.D.!

I think that's it. I've actually been doing work while I've created this post...so much for putting things off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mentally healthy love may be "boring" in that it isn't based on fear...but you, my friend, will never be boring! Just reading yourlist of things you want to blog about makes me think that the Mormon - please, new name - is a lucky man!

Angela said...

I hate to admit this but I just thought Children of Men was kind silly. I mean, everyone meant well but it was just so over the top! And what is up with all of these movies in the future where everything is bombed out! It's become some strange cliche. Clive Owen is really hot though. Yes that is true. So is Chiwetel Ejiofor in his fitted sweaters!