Tuesday, June 19, 2007

In Today's News...

Two articles I found this morning on the Times website piqued my interest:
  1. Antioch College is shutting its doors after 155 years. Founded by Horace Mann himself, that college has a fantastically progressive history: coeducating, desegregating, and hiring women in faculty positions well before the rest of the country. Sadly, I learned all of this this morning. The first and only thing I knew of Antioch was its sexual prevention policy that went into effect in 1993. That asinine policy stated that a person had to ask permission at every step of getting it on...every step. I was a sophomore at Wesleyan when I heard about this; I remembered feeling shame...the kind of shame you feel toward your uncouth cousins. As a proud student of "PCU," I felt that Antioch's new rules took political correctness to a tacky extreme. Who knew that it was the real "Diversity University?"

  2. America is so stupid sometimes! Fox and CBS aren't going to run condoms ads perhaps because they promote pregnancy prevention, not disease prevention. They are afraid of the controversy around birth control, but they don't even have to balls to admit it. This article made me so angry for the networks' logic...or lack thereof. This is the best quote: “'We always find it funny that you can use sex to sell jewelry and cars, but you can’t use sex to sell condoms,” said Carol Carrozza, vice president of marketing for Ansell Healthcare, which makes LifeStyles condoms."
I'm sure there is a lot more in the news today, but now I have to get to work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's kinda scary when you realize how much conservative religious views are running things behind-the-scenes in so many areas of American way of life.