Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Baby Steps

I read my therapy homework assignment on the subway all the way to work today. I'm quite proud of myself. It's a very well-written book...not bogged down in technical terms or touchy-feely psychobabble. The scariest thing is that not only has this author described Ex to a tee, she has pointed out some of my own character flaws. The author did warn me that might happen. But I got through 20 pages, so now I think I'm on a roll. It's a book I'm going to have to read twice, but I am looking for interesting quotes to share with you. Here's one:

"Narcissist entitlement has nothing to do with genuine self-esteem, which comes from real accomplishment and being true to one's own ideals. Individuals who feel entitled to respect without giving it in return, or who expect rewards without effort, or a life free of discomfort, are forfeiting any power they might have to shape their own destiny. They assume an essentially passive role and count on outside forces to make them happy. When what they expect doesn't happen, they feel impotent. By claiming entitlement, they demand to live in the fantasy world of the one-year-old child. No wonder they're enraged." Hotchkiss, p. 22.

No comments: