Friday, November 11, 2005

Family Lessons

So my 20-year-old sister came to visit me for one night on her way to the Homecoming Weekend at her college. She wanted to see me because she felt bad that she wasn't here last weekend when I ran the Marathon.

It was a short, but very pleasant visit. We had dinner, came home, drank tea and watched TV. And talked about boys. She's having serious boy drama and the saddest part about listening to her was how similar her tribulations are to mine. Which just reminded me, the more things change, the more they stay the same. It was depressing to think that she was dealing with the same confusing and infuriating behavior in men that my friends and I encounter and she's 10 years younger than me. She also does the same rationalization and justification that my friends and I do. It made me see what a long road she's going to hoe.

I could tell she wanted to talk about how I'm doing and what I'm going through...but I really didn't. I have this urge to protect her from the dark part of me. I also thinks that she can handle more than she actually can...an idea planted by my mother. My therapist is on vacation this week and I see it as a vacation from dealing with all the stuff I know I have to deal with. Which means I don't really want to talk about it with anyone.

No comments: