Saturday, November 12, 2005

Health Insurance Blues

I begin this post by saying that I realize my great fortune to have health insurance. It is scary to live in this country and not have any medical coverage. I've lived like that and it's isn't fun.

With that said, I am feeling very frustrated with my insurance company and the medical profession in general. I am in a frantic search to find a psychiatrist/psychopharmacologist. I can't believe I can spell those words! I need to get my medication right because what I'm taking now is not working for me. I also need to talk about my possible outpatient treatment. I wanted to find a psychiatrist that was referred by someone I know, so I asked around and got two numbers. One of those recommendations was for a doctor that doesn't even think about taking insurance. His initial hourly rate is $250! Money that I definitely don't have at the moment. The other recommendation was through a psychiatric clinic. However, I would have to get a new therapist because they only partner with therapists who are part of the clinic. I'm not keen on starting over with a brand new therapist. Grrrr.

So now I'm left with picking a random psychiatrist from the list of doctors that my insurance covers. I'm not excited by that option, but I can't wait any longer.

No comments: