Sunday, November 20, 2005

A Story for You

I promised that I would tell you about a really bad anxiety attack I had a couple of weeks ago. At the time it was a unique experience...a one-time thing that scared me. But at this point, it's happened three times.

I wake up and begin my day. But, at some point, I start questioning everything and everything comes into question. The idea that I can't make a decision paralyzes me and I start to cry. Then I start to have trouble breathing. And the only way for me to feel better is to talk to myself...to coax myself to function. I have to take real baby steps.
Britt, (names have been changed to protect the innocent) just put on your pants. You can even wear jeans today.

Britt, you got your socks on! I'm so proud of you. You are almost there.

You just have to open the door and walk through it, Britt. You'll be okay if you just walk through the door.
Those are just examples of the kinds of things I need to say to myself to get me out of the house.

No comments: