Monday, July 23, 2007

5K at 7,000 Feet

I am so glad I'd been running more consistently in the weeks before this trip. I am even more grateful for the run I made myself do in Taos. Since I've been on the ranch that TM grew up on, I have been do a LOT of walking uphill at high altitudes.

The ultimate occurred yesterday morning when TM's sister and I ran a 5K race. It was part of an annual festival in the local town. Everyone knew I was a runner...because everyone in this family knows everything about me! But that's for another post. So when his sister asked, I thought why not? I wanted to put in another run and this would be a great way for me to bond with his sister.

So I ran a little over three miles yesterday morning at an altitude of about 7,000 feet. It was hard as hell! My 28-minute run felt like 58 minutes. But I accomplished something I never would have in New York...I placed! I came in fifth in my age bracket! The medal is now in my luggage. I'm wicked proud I finished the race with a pace faster than a 10-minute mile. I am also very wicked proud that I placed.

Of course, the country was beautiful and there were even more picturesque views of the Rockies.

The rest of the day was spent hiking and camping at an altitude of 11,000 feet. Good times!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You continue to amaze and inspire! Congratulations. And believe me, it's good that they know everything (surely not "everything" everything!) about you - it speaks to open communication. Not a family of secrets, like some we know.
Anyway, as to your recipe for loving this country - I couldn;'t agree more! But - an there's always that but - I wonder if driving through Alabama and seeing the poverty will bring some of the bitterness back...there is so much greatness and so much suckiness here, coexisting. What keeps me from cynicism is knowing that many people in this country are not satisfied with the suckiness status quo, and that things can and do change - see Civil Rights, labor laws, gay rights, etc. If I may once again quote Leonard Cohen:

It's coming to America first,
the cradle of the best and of the worst.
It's here they got the range
and the machinery for change
and it's here they got the spiritual thirst.
It's here the family's broken
and it's here the lonely say
that the heart has got to open
in a fundamental way:
Democracy is coming to the U.S.A.

Hi to TM xxx

Angela said...

It has always been my experience that seeing more of the country reminds us of how beautiful our country is.

I can not believe that you ran a race while in Taos. WOW! Placing is huge! So many people never accomplish that as runners so congrats. I am so interested in how the altitude is treating you. Great to hear all about your adventures!